Switching to SPDX in license tags redux

About a year ago Haïkel Guemar started a thread[1] on devel@ and legal@
about adopting SPDX (I think he meant the entirety of the SPDX
specification and not just the SPDX license identifiers).

I'd like to propose reconsideration of replacement of the existing
Fedora license tag scheme with the SPDX license identifiers.

I've been mildly critical of SPDX on, frankly, mostly political and
aesthetic grounds (to the point of asserting that the SPDX identifiers
represent a form of cultural imperialism). I've complained about and
lamented the apparent rising influence of the SPDX identifiers (based
on the number of instances in recent years of people making non-ironic
references in normal discourse to things like "Apache 2" [which I
assume derives from SPDX's Apache-2.0, for what we all used to call
the Apache License except for those who insist on calling it "ASL"]
and "BSD-2-Clause" [for what was once rightly called the 2-clause BSD
license]).

Nevertheless, I am starting to think that the venerable Fedora license
tag system has outlived its usefulness. The main annoyance is not the
abbreviations themselves, which I find quite charming overall, but the
degree to which a single abbreviation can refer to a potentially large
set of what I'd think of as substantively different license texts.

The SPDX identifiers are not a perfect solution since there are so
many distinct license texts encountered in Fedora which are not
currently the subject of an SPDX short identifier and are not likely
ever to be. But I could envision a Fedora extension to the SPDX
identifiers. Then again, maybe my suspicion that there could be some
benefit to rebasing off the SPDX identifiers is not well informed. As
an aside, I detect that in a lot of discussion of the topic of SPDX
identifiers there is a sort of "standardization is always good, no
matter the cost" bias at work, and for better or worse I think I am
immune to that bias.

In full candor, I imagine the benefits to Fedora itself of using SPDX
identifiers are likely quite low, and so perhaps not worth the
disruption of switching. I do see some potential benefit for Red Hat
as a downstream commercial inheritor of Fedora packages.

So, any thoughts on this? What's the right forum in which to raise
this issue? (I'm only raising it here since Haïkel did so last year
and it's the only arguably on-topic Fedora mailing list I'm already
subscribed to).

This is not a suggestion to adopt the SPDX specification in any
broader sense. I don't really have a well-informed non-political view
of it other than to observe that it seems to be mainly of interest to
a narrow group of enthusiasts at present and also it seems like it
would be highly impractical and pointless for Fedora to consider such
a thing.

Richard

[1] http://www.spinics.net/linux/fedora/fedora-legal/msg02633.html