Re: OSGi Enterprise licensing

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 08:51:41AM +0100, Mikolaj Izdebski wrote:
> OSGi libraries are widely used and I made several attempts to package
> them. From what I remember there are two main problems:
>
> 1. In order to download anything from upstream site [1] you need to
> accept proprietary license first. It was described above in more detail.
>
> 2. There is no source code provided (understood as preferable form for
> editing, as defined in Open Source Definition, or in the Apache License
> itself). Code included in *-sources.jar files is not source code - there
> are no build instructions, test cases or such there - only pure Java
> code, which is meant primarily for debugging. They have a Github account
> [2], but it does *not* contain code for most common OSGi libraries. I
> failed to find any documentation on how source code can be obtained.
>
> So to answer your question: we don't need to package anything except
> software which is (supposedly) under Apache License, but we are not sure
> whether (1) there are additional non-free licensing terms besides the
> Apache License that apply to the software, making it non-free,

Any Apache License-covered code in the source jar should be treated as
licensed solely under that license. Therefore, once you actually have
that code, it is free software.

> and (2)
> whether the software actually meets definitions of free software and
> Open Source Definition - requirement of source code availability is
> questionable here.

I'm assuming the issue here is a Fedora packaging issue, right? If
buildable source code is not available, that itself is a Fedora
packaging problem, independent of any licensing concerns. One could
always take the Apache-licensed source files and attempt to fork the
libraries in question (in part because of the answer to the first
question).

Richard