Re: CAcert.org license

On Thu, 2016-02-11 at 16:10 +0000, Vasyl Khalak wrote:
> I'm sorry to dig up an ancient thread. May somebody deliver a fresh
> opinion on this subject, considering that the CAcert Official
> Document (or "COD") 14, known as the 'CACert Root Distribution
> License' (or "RDL"), and referenced on the Fedora Licensing page [1],
> and in more details on [2], went from 10-Jul-2010 DRAFT [3] to 31-Jul
> -2014 POLICY [4], as well as also replaced by itself the now obsolete
> 'CAcert Non-Related Persons Disclaimer and License', see it mentioned
> on [1], again. It renders [1] and [2] slightly outdated.

The new licence¹ does seem to be an attempt at an improvement. But it
does still contain the same problematic text, in the final paragraph of
the disclaimer:

"THIS LICENSE SPECIFICALLY DOES NOT PERMIT YOU TO RELY UPON ANY
CERTIFICATES ISSUED BY CACERT INC. IF YOU WISH TO RELY ON CERTIFICATES
ISSUED BY CACERT INC, YOU MUST ENTER INTO A SEPARATE AGREEMENT WITH
CACERT INC."

That part isn't really "disclaimer" at all. It almost looks like they
just forgot to update or remove that wording when they were trying to
turn it into a disclaimer. Or didn't get that part of the change past
the committee, or whatever :)

It would be useful to *ask* CACert if that can be fixed. ISTR last time
they just said "Wait. We don't want you shipping it yet anyway".

--
dwmw2

¹ http://www.cacert.org/policy/RootDistributionLicense.html