Re: Exceptions restricting program name are compatible with "LGPLv2 with exceptions", correct?

On 12/02/2013 04:22 PM, Jeff Backus wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> Thanks for your response!
>
> On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 2:10 PM, Tom Callaway <tcallawa@xxxxxxxxxx
> <mailto:tcallawa@xxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
>
>     These sorts of licenses are usually a mess to figure out. It would help
>     if we knew whether Ion considers Notion to be a "name[] that can
>     be associated with the Ion project".
>

> Yes, I can appreciate your apprehension. I found the following thread on
> the notion devel list that discusses receiving an e-mail and relaxed
> license from Tuomo Valkonen (developer of Ion) for the Notion project:
> http://sourceforge.net/p/notion/mailman/message/28377299/
>
> This would indicate to me that Tuomo considers Notion sufficiently
> distinct. Is this good enough?

I don't think so. The email quoted from Tuomo is two years older than
the repost, so it is unlikely that it is in the context of Notion (also,
he never mentions Notion in it). I'm guessing he sent it out to the Ion
mailing list independently of Notion's existence (possibly before Notion
came about? not sure on the timeline), but we cannot assume it implies
acceptability of the Notion name.

Really, someone needs to ask politely. :)

~tom

==
University Outreach || Fedora Special Projects || Fedora Legal