Re: ii package license

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 4:04 AM, Petr Šabata <contyk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I'm packaging the ii IRC client [1] for Fedora and the
> package reviewer has expressed concerns about its license.
> This software includes, in addition to the main MIT-licensed
> code, the following script:
>
> http://hg.suckless.org/ii/file/d163c8917af7/query.sh
>
> I've decided to use "MIT and Public domain" as the package
> license.  Would that be correct?

I don't think Public Domain is correct.  That normally needs to be
expressly specified and the author clearly isn't doing that.

It's similar to WTFPL, but not enough to be called that.  Spot is
at FOSDEM, so this will probably need to wait until he looks it
over.  If it were me, I'd ask upstream to relicense it to something
a bit more standard in any case.

josh