Re: New proposed top level FAQ for the defunct FedoraLegacy project

Quoting "David A. Ranch" <dranch@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

I'm betting if there was a reason to keep them alive, the funding would
be found without any problem...  But the sad truth is, there is no
way to justify spending the money on them, as there is no real value
to them.  They lost their value when the project shutdown.

I personally find value in keeping distributions secure.

Since there will be no new updates, they will not keep distributions
secure.

I don't need
new features.. just maintenance.  I know a /LOT/ of companies that
still use Redhat 6.2, 7.x, etc. in lab environments.

Sure, but keeping the mirrors up does not real good.  They are just
getting obsolete patches and a false sense of security.

security.  I do value security and I'm willing to donate X number of
dollars for that security but it sounds like I'm in the minority.

A lot of people say they are willing to donate "X" dollars, but in most
cases they are not really willing to do so, or their "X" is too small.
In any case, you are probably too late, unless your "X" is very large!

What I'm really curious on is how CentOS can/will erode RHEL revenue.

That topic isn't appropriate to this list.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Go Longhorns!