Re: New proposed top level FAQ for the defunct FedoraLegacy project

On Friday 09 February 2007 15:29, David A. Ranch wrote:
> What I'm really curious on is how CentOS can/will erode RHEL revenue.
> It's the *same* code but no Redhat support.  I still help out on a few
> educational servers and the Academic RHEL version offers -zero- support
> so we're basically paying $50/yr for patches.  I think that's a bit
> expensive for patches but at least I have an option.  Since I get no
> support, what's the value in RHEL Academic vs. CentOS?  None other than
> using up2date.

If RHEL has to compete on the bits, RHEL has already lost.  RHEL is about
support and such, and if you see no value in it, you probably don't need
RHEL.  Very very few places fall into this trap of buying RHEL and not using
the support, but even those that do, buy it for the ABILITY to get support
even if they never use it.  Personally I see CentOS as strengthening the RHEL
brand, as sites that start with CentOS then realize they need support should
be able to easily migrate to RHEL given that everything is the same.  Much
harder to do that from say Fedora or Debian.

> Anyway.. Jesse: could you post any version of this FAQ to the Legacy
> website?  I sent this FAQ out to a few email lists last night and
> several people were also caught off guard by this news.  They did know
> something was up as their Yum repositories were failing.

Eric, can you integrate the FAQ into the front page of fedoralegacy.org ?
Once that is done, I'll change DNS for download.fedoralegacy.org to point to
fedoralegacy.org.