Re: New proposed top level FAQ for the defunct FedoraLegacy project

>I'm betting if there was a reason to keep them alive, the funding would
>be found without any problem...  But the sad truth is, there is no
>way to justify spending the money on them, as there is no real value
>to them.  They lost their value when the project shutdown.
I personally find value in keeping distributions secure. I don't need new features.. just maintenance. I know a /LOT/ of companies that still use Redhat 6.2, 7.x, etc. in lab environments. Sure, they aren't on any Internet facing links but it would only take one worm to take down a lab, possibly leak their proprietary secrets, etc. and think about the downtime that would ensue before they could get their test environment working on a secure distro. That would will be costly if that ever happens. Some of these companies are very large and could maintain these distros themselves yet they don't find much value in security. I do value security and I'm willing to donate X number of dollars for that security but it sounds like I'm in the minority.

What I'm really curious on is how CentOS can/will erode RHEL revenue. It's the *same* code but no Redhat support. I still help out on a few educational servers and the Academic RHEL version offers -zero- support so we're basically paying $50/yr for patches. I think that's a bit expensive for patches but at least I have an option. Since I get no support, what's the value in RHEL Academic vs. CentOS? None other than using up2date.

Anyway.. Jesse: could you post any version of this FAQ to the Legacy website? I sent this FAQ out to a few email lists last night and several people were also caught off guard by this news. They did know something was up as their Yum repositories were failing.

--David