Fedora Core 4 coming . . . sunset, infrastructure issues . . . meeting?

We need to start planning for the arrival of Fedora Core 4.

According to <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Core/Schedule>, the Fedora
Legacy project is due to start maintaining Fedora Core 4 on the 19th of July.

   1) Legacy maintainers need to prepare a package or set of packages for
      Fedora Core 4 users to give them Fedora Legacy yum repositories to
      pull updated packages from, and to install for them the Fedora
      Legacy package signing GPG key.  Details of this package preparation
      need to be planned and executed.

   2) Are there plans in place for the upcoming Fedora Core 6 to have in
      place packages to allow users to start pulling from Fedora Legacy
      repositories once FC6 goes legacy?  Automatically?  Manually?  With
      some kind prompting at bootup?  What is in place for FC5 at
      present?

   3) Fedora Legacy repositories and build infrastructure.  These continue
      at this time to be maintained separately from the Core Fedora infra-
      structure.  Are we to integrate these somehow sometime?  If we
      integrate key portions of infrastructure, will we also continue
      to maintain some infrastructure separately, such as our set of
      a couple of dozen or so Legacy repositories worldwide?  Sounds like
      planning is (eventually) needed.

   4) Has the community reached any kind of consensus on the issues of
      potentially retiring Red Hat Linux 7.3, Red Hat Linux 9, Fedora Core
      1, Fedora Core 2?

   5) Are there other items, either of a technical or political nature we
      need to do before we become the stewards of Fedora Core 4's security
      and critical bug fix updates?

A number of reasonable options have been proposed on this list for the
sunset issues in point (4), but these need to be discussed and decided upon
in one or more IRC meetings, so project users and maintainers (and folks
who do both) can come out of it with less uncertain expectations of our
project with regards to these releases of Red Hat Linux and Fedora Core.

All these issues point to the need for (one or more) IRC meeting(s) on
freenode.net #fedora-legacy to discuss these issues and get work done.

I will likely not be available the rest of this week, and next Monday and
Tuesday are holiday evenings in the United States of America.  Shall we
shoot for an meeting on IRC mid-week next week?  If we meet on Wednesday,
July 7th, that will leave us 12 calendar days to get stuff done between
that meeting and the time we are due to inherit Fedora Core 4.

	Regards,
	David Eisenstein

--

fedora-legacy-list@xxxxxxxxxx