Re: Fedora Core 4 coming . . . sunset, infrastructure issues . . . meeting?

On Wednesday 28 June 2006 18:49, David Eisenstein wrote:
>    1) Legacy maintainers need to prepare a package or set of packages for
>       Fedora Core 4 users to give them Fedora Legacy yum repositories to
>       pull updated packages from, and to install for them the Fedora
>       Legacy package signing GPG key.  Details of this package preparation
>       need to be planned and executed.

I'm pretty sure FC4 repos already exist on download.fedoralegacy.org, we just
need to populate them with a yum-config package.

>    2) Are there plans in place for the upcoming Fedora Core 6 to have in
>       place packages to allow users to start pulling from Fedora Legacy
>       repositories once FC6 goes legacy?  Automatically?  Manually?  With
>       some kind prompting at bootup?  What is in place for FC5 at
>       present?

FC5 shipped with Legacy repo files that pointed to a mirror list (which points
back at download.fedoralegacy.org).  Same with FC6.  Our keys are put on the
system to.  A user need just flip the '0' to '1' to enable Legacy updates.

>    3) Fedora Legacy repositories and build infrastructure.  These continue
>       at this time to be maintained separately from the Core Fedora infra-
>       structure.  Are we to integrate these somehow sometime?  If we
>       integrate key portions of infrastructure, will we also continue
>       to maintain some infrastructure separately, such as our set of
>       a couple of dozen or so Legacy repositories worldwide?  Sounds like
>       planning is (eventually) needed.

I plan to get us moved over very soon.  The only bits of our infrastructure
that should remain is enough to keep RHL going until we can phase it out.
I'm thinking in 6 months time?  After that the content will become unchanging
as we'll be publishing into download.fedora.redhat.com space and its mirrors.

>    4) Has the community reached any kind of consensus on the issues of
>       potentially retiring Red Hat Linux 7.3, Red Hat Linux 9, Fedora Core
>       1, Fedora Core 2?

The best plan I heard thus far was to phase out FC1 and 2 at the proper time
(when FC6 reaches test2 and we get FC4), but give RHL 6~ months to get moved
to something better.

>    5) Are there other items, either of a technical or political nature we
>       need to do before we become the stewards of Fedora Core 4's security
>       and critical bug fix updates?

I don't know.  Community?

> A number of reasonable options have been proposed on this list for the
> sunset issues in point (4), but these need to be discussed and decided upon
> in one or more IRC meetings, so project users and maintainers (and folks
> who do both) can come out of it with less uncertain expectations of our
> project with regards to these releases of Red Hat Linux and Fedora Core.
>
> All these issues point to the need for (one or more) IRC meeting(s) on
> freenode.net #fedora-legacy to discuss these issues and get work done.
>
> I will likely not be available the rest of this week, and next Monday and
> Tuesday are holiday evenings in the United States of America.  Shall we
> shoot for an meeting on IRC mid-week next week?  If we meet on Wednesday,
> July 7th, that will leave us 12 calendar days to get stuff done between
> that meeting and the time we are due to inherit Fedora Core 4.

WORKSFORME

Trying to setup a time is a nightmare though.  Lets start the bidding at 14:00
UTC (which is 10:00am Eastern Daylight Time, otherwise known as Red Hat
standard time (: )

fedora-legacy-list@xxxxxxxxxx