Re: Friday Flames - What to do with RHL7.3/9 and FC1/2

On Jun 10, 2006, at 7:52 AM, Nils Breunese (Lemonbit Internet) wrote:

Jeff Sheltren wrote:

I agree with this - let's do away with RHL and FC1/FC2 support once we take on FC4. Jesse has already given many good reasons for doing so, so I won't repeat them here again :)

Although I agree RHL and FC1/2 support should probably stop, this might be a big problem for companies running virtual servers (things like Virtuozzo), because I think almost all of them are running FC2. I have one dedicated box running FC2, but I'm already planning on migrating that one to CentOS 4. How much time will there be between the announcement of EOL and the actual end of support? People might want to have some time to plan migrations.

Nils Breunese.

The planned EOL for FC2 is with the release of FC6 test2 (when Legacy picks up FC4). This is regardless of the outcome of the discussion at hand, which is about if we should drop FC1 and RHL at the same time.

In reality, I think that people should have begun migration plans before RedHat dropped support for the releases. From the beginning, Legacy never planned to support the Fedora Core releases for any substantial amount of time, the idea was only to support two Fedora Core releases at a time, dropping support for the oldest as soon as we pick up support for a newer release. This was to give admins a larger upgrade window in which they could continue receiving security fixes while migrating to a newer release (at least that was my view of things). However, to answer your question (partly), the schedule for FC6 is located here:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Core/Schedule
Which states that the current plan is to release Test 2 on July 19th - just over a month from now.

-Jeff

--

fedora-legacy-list@xxxxxxxxxx