RE: Friday Flames - What to do with RHL7.3/9 and FC1/2

Well, I was thinking that when I get settled after my upcoming relocation and
my new job, that I wanted to see about building another machine (because I plan
to replace my W2K server) so I can help with continuing support of RH73.

Yes, my RH73 is also probably not quite stock...anymore....though the upgrade
from RH72 to RH73 wasn't really that long ago.  But, I don't know about the
worry about hardware failure.  Over the years I've experienced failures...but
the machine continues to run fine.  I'm on my 3rd root disk for the machine,
the last I lost due to a power outage just a few months ago.

And, no I am not prepared for what I would do if I needed to move away from
this system.

Plus I don't think it would be too difficult to completely replace the hardware
under a stable RH73 box, if necessary.

At my last job, I did this to a RedHat and a SuSE box (prompted by my boss's
need to grab up as many of the newer computers as he could)....recently I had
to do it to my SuSE box at home, due to system failure.

As I recall, the only issues with the upgrade of the boxes at work, was network
cards....which was solved by transplanting the old network cards (and disabling
the built-in one).  OTOH, when I did my home system (from Dell Optiplex
Cele233M to a IBM NetVista Cele2.2G) I didn't need to do this.....though it is
running a newer distro of SuSE....since it is my newer home Linux server.

OTOH, before I discovered FL, my RedHat box was just RH72 and it had been
running great with no updates.  And, the servers at my last job had also been
running fine without updates....it used to be, 2 RH72 boxes for the NIS
master/slave servers -- master also doing NTP and slave had the admin NFS
share, and 2 RH73 boxes...one for the site NFS server and the other was our CVS
server.  They are all RH73 boxes doing automatic updates from FL now.

BTW, I should probably mention that I recently accepted a job offer to be a
Unix Systems Administrator at K-State....after getting laid off on December
23rd from my last job.  So, I'll probably be looking for stuff on the side to
keep my software engineering skills sharp ;D

Lawrence

--

fedora-legacy-list@xxxxxxxxxx