Re: 8.0 packages to QA

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, Marc Deslauriers wrote:

Part of the problem -- and this is merely a description, not a gripe, and it's certainly not directed at Jesse, who's put in way more work than anyone should expect -- is that it's difficult to find the time to figure out what needs doing. I'd happily Q/A more packages, but doing so requires (afaict) lots of bugzilla spelunking, and I'm still never sure if I've got it all.

What about some new bugzilla keywords, something like "needs73rpms", "needs9QA"?

It's a start, perhaps, but the process would still be somewhat obscure:

1. Get to buzilla, enter keyword.

2. Review each ticket, figuring out
   - whether new keyword is still valid for this ticket
   - what package is involved
   - urls for src and/or binary rpms

3. Download, build/install, test

4. Report back

I think my ideal would be something a little bit -- though not a lot -- simpler:

1. Peruse e-mailed nightly Q/A report over morning caffeine

2. Use links in report to download SRPMS or RPMS for testing

3. Build/install, test

4. Report back.

A package would remain in the nightly Q/A report until it's moved into the official testing tree or it's withdrawn entirely.

It's not ideal, but it'd certainly be easier for me to get test packages installed and run through whatever wringer I can devise.

--Paul Heinlein <heinlein@xxxxxxxxxxx>