Re: On FLP's kernel updates for RH8

Quoting Barbara Pennacchi <b.pennacchi@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

Maybe because I never installed grub in first place? Up2date complained

Could be, I don't know. My machine does have the grub rpm installed, even though I use only lilo...

BUT somehow, I assumed that using rpm -Uvh with this flp's kernel update
would be akin to up2date's behaviour. (cringe -- well, I hadn't yet done
my stupid thing of the day :/ when I started trying to pull that act and,
of course, I thought it a bit WEIRD that to upgrade a kernel one had to
use "Install").

Yes, it is a bit strange, but it is normal. All kernel RPMS from any source will need to do a Install if you want to keep your old kernel(s), or an Upgrade if you want to replace your existing kernel(s).

Ok. Sorry.

No problem.

After reinstalling back the former kernel, I pulled a backup of the lilo.
conf and, after I dutifully modified it to reflect the 2 kernel versions
("legacy" thing in filename included!) tried telling lilo.conf that
"linux" was the blahblah.legacy.blah and "linux.bak" the older kernel.

But lilo choked.

I've never seen this, except if the label field is too long. My lilo.conf for example is:

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-30.8.legacysmp
        label=2.4.20-30.8smp
        read-only
        root=/dev/md0
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.20-30.8.legacysmp.img

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-27.8smp
        label=2.4.20-27.8smp
        read-only
        root=/dev/md0
        initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.20-27.8smp.img

And it works fine. Now, if you put a long string in the label field, it
will die.  And the FL kernel RPM does try to do this, so it will die.
But this is documented in the kernel advisory.

Only after removing the "legacy" string from both lilo.conf and actual
filenames and make the symlinks point to them, lilo was finally satisfied.

I still don't understand exactly what you had to change. But maybe it is too late to track it all back at this point in time.

Sorry for having bothered you in the first place :)

No, it is quite alright. Please don't hesitate to post questions. You're apt to learn from them, as are others on the list.

--
Eric Rostetter