Re: .0 KDE releases have terrible track record, so...

On Sun, Jan 28, 2024 at 7:04 PM Go Canes <letsgonhlcanes0@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 28, 2024 at 12:45 PM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > The ideal is that [switching to Wayland]  should eventually
> > become a mostly transparent experience for people. It's not quite
> > there yet, but it's very close now.
>
> As a user, my concern is exactly this - will the things I have set-up
> over the years continue to work with Wayland?  If not, will there be a
> direct replacement?
>
> As an example, these are on my "must have" list before I can even
> consider Wayland:
> - remote *application*, not desktop.  I.e X over a ssh tunnel.  [As I
> understand it, there is a tool to handle remote applications available
> (or in development)]

This has worked for years, just nobody knew it existed.

$ waypipe ssh <user>@<host>

You need the package "waypipe" installed on both ends, but once you
have it, it'll handle the tunneling for you.

> - ability to control windows using tools such as xdotool, wmctrl, etc.
> - change focus, send mouse clicks and keypresses [I saw something
> recently that seemed to suggest that this can be done using dbus?]

KWin has its own APIs and tools for this, I am unfamiliar with them,
but I do know they exist as part of KWin itself.

There is also the package "ydotool" which can help replace xdotool.

> And it should go without saying that existing X apps should "just
> work"; the one time I tried Wayland (back on f36 or so) very little
> seemed to work other than KDE itself.  As an example, konsole worked,
> but xsane did not.  To be fair I should probably give it a try again
> to see how things have progressed.

KDE Plasma Wayland is constantly and continually improving! Plasma 6
is going to be the largest boost in the experience in a while, though,
because lots of work done by KDE in Qt is finally becoming available
to leverage in Plasma.