Re: Offering plasma-pk-updates as an alternative to Discover

On Sun, May 9, 2021 at 9:19 AM Patrick Boutilier <boutilpj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 5/9/21 10:10 AM, Neal Gompa wrote:

> >> Looks like this will be an option in 5.22 .
> >> https://invent.kde.org/plasma/discover/-/merge_requests/111
> >>
> >> Although I am not sure how doing an online vlc update will cause an
> >> "unstable system". It wouldn't be so bad if there were not almost daily
> >> updates available.
> >>

> > We don't have a heuristic for differentiating what a "safe update" and
> > an "unsafe update" would be. In the VLC case, it would be "safe" as
> > long as the phonon-vlc backend was not used for KDE Plasma (we don't
> > use it by default, but someone could swap it in from a third-party
> > build).
> >
> > It can get fairly complicated, and it's always been a bad idea to
> > update the desktop software while it's running from within the
> > terminal of the said desktop, because you can lead to a scenario where
> > you've temporarily caused a broken state that would only be fixed by
> > rebooting anyway. For the majority of users, offline updates for
> > packages is the correct behavior.
> >
> > That said, yes, Plasma 5.22 (coming in a month) will introduce a
> > user-accessible option to turn it off.
> >

> Is there any way for the packages themselves to "request" offline
> updates? I agree that updating plasma, kf5-*, etc.. live is not a good
> idea. But something like nano for instance shouldn't need to be updated
> offline.

It is possible, but basically none of the PackageKit backends tell
PackageKit this information, so the frontends are working blindly to
try to do the right thing. I'm trying to figure out if I can extend
the DNF backend to start offering that information.

Since Fedora has updateinfo and we (Fedora KDE team) set the value
correctly when we submit updates, it should be possible for me to
plumb this through. It looks like I'll need to extend libdnf's API
first to do it, so that's going to take some time.