Re: Some thoughts / feedback about the Fedora KDE Spin

> dnfdragora and Plasma Discover provide different views to software
> management. Plasma Discover provides app-centric views, while
> dnfdragora lets you view all the packages in the distribution. I am,
> however, confused as to why Discover's update applet is on the
> taskbar. It shouldn't even be installed by default. Or are you just
> referring to plasma-pk-updates? The updater widget is separate from
> both dnfdragora and discover.

Indeed, I was referring to plasma-pk-updates, sorry for the confusion!

> The challenge here is that we want to make it both a showcase of
> Fedora with KDE and demonstrate what KDE itself can offer.
> Discoverability is quite hard for KDE applications, and what we select
> is what gets the most attention from users and contributors. Unlike
> GNOME, which has been gradually cutting off its own face and reducing
> scope and functionality, the KDE community has continued to develop a
> full suite of stuff.
>
> I think we could reduce what's on the media more if we had some kind
> of first-login "Welcome to your desktop" thing like Korora did (and
> openSUSE, Mageia, and OpenMandriva do have now) that pointed people to
> non-installed applications for specific purposes and made it easy to
> just install them from that app. Maybe that's worth investigating now?

Thanks for the insight on that! Viewing it like that, it makes sense to have such a selection of software.

I also think having a welcome app would be really useful at the very least to avoid bad first impressions. I would indeed list alternative and extra applications and a short explanation on the ways to update software (I personally know that openSUSE has a tiny article explaining the community repos, a link to Plasma's help and so on), which is probably what most newcomers look for.