Re: Some thoughts / feedback about the Fedora KDE Spin

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 8:11 AM Samuel Garcia <fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have been trying out Fedora these past days and, since I pretty much like KDE / Plasma, I have installed the KDE spin. I mainly have some gripes about the default package selection on the Spin, which I will list below. I do not intend this to be a rant or something like that, and most of these thoughts are probably just personal preferences, but I thought it may be helpful to have some feedback from a newcomer's standpoint.
>
> Browser selection:
> There are three browsers installed by default: Firefox, Falkon and Konqueror. I honestly think this is too much for a default selection. Firefox is a given, of course, but Konqueror and Falkon should not be there. IMHO, Falkon is still still a young project and Konqueror is a... let's call it "ancient" browser/file manager. I personally think both of them are the typical software which people actually know about and install on their own.

I agree with you on the browser selection, but I think having a
Chromium-based browser in the spin makes sense to deal with
Chrome-only sites. So I'd be okay with removing Konqueror from the
default selection.

> Software management: both dnfdragora and Discover are present. I find this confusing and I do not know if there is any technical reason behind why there are two different graphical software management tools present by default, alongside the command-line options, and Discover's update applet on the taskbar. By comparison, the gnome edition only has the Software store.

dnfdragora and Plasma Discover provide different views to software
management. Plasma Discover provides app-centric views, while
dnfdragora lets you view all the packages in the distribution. I am,
however, confused as to why Discover's update applet is on the
taskbar. It shouldn't even be installed by default. Or are you just
referring to plasma-pk-updates? The updater widget is separate from
both dnfdragora and discover.

> Office suite: I want to believe that LibreOffice is more used than the Calligra suite. I'd rather prefer to find no Office suite installed by default and choose either of them.

I think this is more to help with discoverability of KDE software.

> K3b: I think disc burning tools should not be present by default anymore, since it's increasingly hard to find modern desktops/laptops with CD/DVD writers.

However, it's pretty easy to find external drives to do this. That
said, optical media usage is becoming rarer. I could see us dropping
it from the default installed set on the live media.

> Kwrite and Kate: I think this is more of a KDE "too many applications" issue, but I would rather expect to have both Kwrite and Kate present by default, (or better, just Kate)

They actually share the same code. Kate is a programmer's editor,
while Kwrite is the more basic view (like a notepad with syntax
highlighting, similar to gedit!). They use the same KPart. Between the
two, I'd probably drop Kate. It's a lot less used and more complex to
use well.

> Multimedia: This is purely personal but I would rather see VLC as a sensible default instead of Dragon Player.

*sigh*

> Printing tools: I see that there is printing support, but there I could not find a scanning application (Skanlite comes to mind). The gnome workstation edition has a scanner application by default.

Good point. We should have one...

> Complementary tools:
> I find it weird there are tools such as:
>
> Krusader, but not a diff tool (such as Kompare)
>
> Kgpg, but not Kleopatra (cert/key management)

Hmm...

> I honestly think the KDE spin is "too much" when compared to the default workstation/gnome edition, which is actually very minimalist and curated when it comes to default software selection, and it makes me think the KDE spin is a second-class citizen.
>
> Again, I do not intend this to be a rant, but instead to be helpful feedback. I would like to hear anyone's thoughts about this and I am open to criticism!

The challenge here is that we want to make it both a showcase of
Fedora with KDE and demonstrate what KDE itself can offer.
Discoverability is quite hard for KDE applications, and what we select
is what gets the most attention from users and contributors. Unlike
GNOME, which has been gradually cutting off its own face and reducing
scope and functionality, the KDE community has continued to develop a
full suite of stuff.

I think we could reduce what's on the media more if we had some kind
of first-login "Welcome to your desktop" thing like Korora did (and
openSUSE, Mageia, and OpenMandriva do have now) that pointed people to
non-installed applications for specific purposes and made it easy to
just install them from that app. Maybe that's worth investigating now?