Re: Some thoughts / feedback about the Fedora KDE Spin

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 5:47 AM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 8:11 AM Samuel Garcia <fedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hello!
> >
> > I have been trying out Fedora these past days and, since I pretty much like KDE / Plasma, I have installed the KDE spin. I mainly have some gripes about the default package selection on the Spin, which I will list below. I do not intend this to be a rant or something like that, and most of these thoughts are probably just personal preferences, but I thought it may be helpful to have some feedback from a newcomer's standpoint.
> >
> > Browser selection:
> > There are three browsers installed by default: Firefox, Falkon and Konqueror. I honestly think this is too much for a default selection. Firefox is a given, of course, but Konqueror and Falkon should not be there. IMHO, Falkon is still still a young project and Konqueror is a... let's call it "ancient" browser/file manager. I personally think both of them are the typical software which people actually know about and install on their own.
> >

> I agree with you on the browser selection, but I think having a
> Chromium-based browser in the spin makes sense to deal with
> Chrome-only sites. So I'd be okay with removing Konqueror from the
> default selection.

I use Konqueror all the time, as a man page reader.  Really.  Type in
"#man" as a URL and you get a well formated man page, that you can
search and scroll through easily.
As a browser, I only use it when I need to test a page I'm working on
with something other than Firefox and Chrome/Chromium.

> > Software management: both dnfdragora and Discover are present. I find this confusing and I do not know if there is any technical reason behind why there are two different graphical software management tools present by default, alongside the command-line options, and Discover's update applet on the taskbar. By comparison, the gnome edition only has the Software store.
> >

> dnfdragora and Plasma Discover provide different views to software
> management. Plasma Discover provides app-centric views, while
> dnfdragora lets you view all the packages in the distribution. I am,
> however, confused as to why Discover's update applet is on the
> taskbar. It shouldn't even be installed by default. Or are you just
> referring to plasma-pk-updates? The updater widget is separate from
> both dnfdragora and discover.
>
> > Office suite: I want to believe that LibreOffice is more used than the Calligra suite. I'd rather prefer to find no Office suite installed by default and choose either of them.
> >

> I think this is more to help with discoverability of KDE software.
>
> > K3b: I think disc burning tools should not be present by default anymore, since it's increasingly hard to find modern desktops/laptops with CD/DVD writers.
> >

> However, it's pretty easy to find external drives to do this. That
> said, optical media usage is becoming rarer. I could see us dropping
> it from the default installed set on the live media.
>
> > Kwrite and Kate: I think this is more of a KDE "too many applications" issue, but I would rather expect to have both Kwrite and Kate present by default, (or better, just Kate)
> >

> They actually share the same code. Kate is a programmer's editor,
> while Kwrite is the more basic view (like a notepad with syntax
> highlighting, similar to gedit!). They use the same KPart. Between the
> two, I'd probably drop Kate. It's a lot less used and more complex to
> use well.
>
> > Multimedia: This is purely personal but I would rather see VLC as a sensible default instead of Dragon Player.
> >

> *sigh*

Just to explain the *sigh*.  VLC isn't included in Fedora for
legal/license reasons, so it cannot be part of the spin.