Re: KDE and GDM

mario futire wrote:
> In GNOME this is super slick as the step 2) is completely removed.
> "Switch user" takes you immediately to the [GDM] user list.

And this in turn implies that GNOME supports user switching ONLY with GDM.
If you use any other login manager, GNOME user switching will not work.
(That was a deliberate design decision when they switched from the old user
switching method, which worked with several login managers, to using GDM-
specific interfaces.)

KDE Plasma is designed to work with many login managers (including, but not
limited to, GDM) and hence includes its own user switching dialog that is
not tied to a particular login manager. (And what you are seeing is not the
"KDE login manager", but a KDE Plasma dialog that looks similar to the SDDM
login manager that the KDE Project recommends, but is not based on SDDM
code. I think the dialog is actually technically a part of the KDE Plasma
screenlocker, which is also where the "Back" button brings you.)

There may be issues in how that dialog interacts with GDM (which may also be
due to limitations in GDM's API, given that the GDM developers obviously
want user switching to be done their GDM-specific way, as GNOME does it),
but the existence of the dialog is not by itself a bug.

        Kevin Kofler