Update on Fedora 31 + QWayland

Hi,

recently there were few emails about users not being happy with QWayland being
used by default on GNOME desktop. I would like to make a summary of issues and
current plans and changes:

1) Some applications not working properly due to X11 dependencies:
There are quite a few applications which depend on X11 API. While this is not
fault of QWayland or Wayland as such, I understand this is a serious issue for
our users. Therefore I decided to modify the patch we have in qtbase to
blacklist these applications from Wayland usage.

These applications are: VirtualBox, smplayer, kdenlive, obs-studio, mixxx,
mythtv and also qtcreator.

Reason for blacklisting QtCreator is Bug 1774762 (non working drag and drop).
This issue has been already reported to upstream and once it's resolved,  I
will enable QtCreator again to be used natively on Wayland.

2) Bug 1773650 - Qt Wayland backend has serious issues across the board
There is an issue about broken copy-pasting of non-ASCII characters. I
backported a fix from Qt 5.13 to our Fedora 31 builds, you can expect an
update soon. Other issues there are again about kdenlive or obs-studio, which
are broken because of X11 requirements and fixed with the change above.
Last but not least issue in this bug are window decorations. Problem is that
GNOME supports only client-side decorations, which means that we are
responsible for drawing the decorations. We have basic support for Adwaita-
like decorations in QGnomePlatform, but it's not really possible to cover all
the possible GNOME themes so please don't blame QWayland for that, it's not
really its fault.

Last thing I would like to mention is that I started working on Qt 5.13.2. It
is already almost finished in rawhide and I would like to have it in Fedora 31
as soon as possible. There are quite a lot of improvements in this release
regarding Wayland and I also plan to backport primary-selection support from
Qt 5.14.

Regards,
Jan