Re: Proposal for the future - (was: KDE SIG QA help needed)

Jan Grulich wrote:

> On pátek 7. července 2017 14:29:07 CEST Steven Haigh wrote:
>> Proposal #2:
>> We currently ship 2 'package managers' (3 if you count PackageKit).
>>
>> I propose we drop kde-discover - and keep dnfdragora (and PackageKit) in
>> the live image.
>
> I wouldn't drop kde-discover (plasma-discover). It's a good equivalent to
> gnome-software, with many backends (PackageKit, Snap, Flatpak) and also
> with integration of ODRS (Open Desktop Rating System). It might not be
> sometimes working as it should, but it is getting better with every
> release.

I think Dnfdragora is much closer to the user experience we want to deliver
to our users:

Dnfdragora shows all packages in the repository, not just those that are
picked up by the Fedora AppStream data generator, which by design filters
out everything it does not like. It does not show non-packages such as
Flatpaks that have no business being offered in a package manager,
especially without a warning that what you are about to install is not a
package.

Dnfdragora also shows the dependencies that are going to be installed. With
Discover, you have no warning whatsoever that you are going to install some
GNOME application and tons of GNOME libraries. Dnfdragora can show you (with
one click) the complete list of dependencies (so you can easily identify the
toolkit that the application uses even if you have it installed already),
and it always asks you before installing new dependencies that you don't
have installed yet.

Dnfdragora also interoperates better with the tool recommended to command-
line users (dnf). Hardly any command-line user uses pkcon, and I don't think
any command-line user uses AppStream tools.

While Dnfdragora is not a KDE application, it uses QtWidgets through libyui
and thus does not look less native than Discover's Kirigami UI.

        Kevin Kofler