Re: Proposal for the future - (was: KDE SIG QA help needed)

On pátek 7. července 2017 14:29:07 CEST Steven Haigh wrote:
> On Friday, 7 July 2017 4:25:54 AM AEST Matthew Miller wrote:
> > Hey everyone. We're going to have a hard time keeping KDE a
> > release-blocking spin if the QA team doesn't get more active help from KDE
> > SIG folks.
>
> With the recent discussion about lack of testing etc and the state of the
> KDE live boot, I would like to propose a set of changes to simplify the
> live image as we start thinking about F27.
>
> The idea is to strip the current bloat to give a more manageable Live Image
> - while keeping in mind that after you install to HDD, you can install any
> package you like.
>
> Proposal #1:
> We currently ship 3 browsers in the Live image:
> 	* Firefox
> 	* Konqueror
> 	* Qupzilla
>
> I propose that we strip all out except Konqueror. IMHO, Konqueror is the KDE
> browser - and should feature on the KDE Spin live image. It allows us to
> keep a simple target of *ONE* working browser that has to meet the blocker
> requirements.
>
> Proposal #2:
> We currently ship 2 'package managers' (3 if you count PackageKit).
>
> I propose we drop kde-discover - and keep dnfdragora (and PackageKit) in the
> live image.

I wouldn't drop kde-discover (plasma-discover). It's a good equivalent to
gnome-software, with many backends (PackageKit, Snap, Flatpak) and also with
integration of ODRS (Open Desktop Rating System). It might not be sometimes
working as it should, but it is getting better with every release.