Re: Default Browser Voting - and apparent inconsistency with mission statement

Mustafa Muhammad wrote:
> Again, QupZilla is not KDE software.

But it uses the same technologies that official KDE software uses.

> Not everything Qt based is KDE software, and not everything from KDE is
> good enough, they just don't make every type of software,

And this is where third-party Qt/KDE software such as QupZilla steps in.

> Konqueror is using deprecated component, QtWebkit, nobody can guarantee
> that QtWebEngine will continue being supported and improved, will Qt
> deprecate it like QtWebKit? Nobody knows.

Will Mozilla deprecate Firefox like Firefox OS? Or force the community to
maintain it like SeaMonkey and Thunderbird? Nobody knows.

> As for GTK dependencies, they were in the spin before Firefox was added,
> for some management tools.

Firefox dragged in some additional non-KDE dependencies.

And IMHO, the other stuff using GTK+ is also a problem, not a reason to
blanket-allow all GTK+ software. (E.g., I would really like to see Calamares
replace Anaconda on the KDE Spin!)

> I wish Qupzilla developers luck, I thank them for their efforts, but I
> believe that without supporting extensions (widely used ones, like Chrome
> extensions), this will not go far, rekonq made me hope, they once stated
> they will support them, then it all vanished.

I don't think it is reasonable to expect browser developers to play catch up
with some other browser's proprietary extension format.

> I think Fedora KDE spin should aim to be the best OS (it might already
> be), not just as a showcase of "only" KDE software.

Becoming the best OS means we need to get rid of the software whose
look&feel sticks out like a sore thumb.

        Kevin Kofler