Re: planet

On Wed, Apr 05, 2023 at 07:04:54PM -0300, Pedro Moura wrote:
> Dear colleagues,
>
> I would like to share some updates and ask for suggestions regarding the
> Fedora Planet.

Hey Pedro. Thanks for updating everyone. :)

> As some of you may already know, Fedora Planet was deployed on CommuniShift
> with the blogs hard-coded. Additionally, we are working on some significant
> changes that affect the process of adding new blogs to the Fedora Planet.
>
> Instead of users having to SSH and create a .planet file to add their
> blogs, the idea would be simply add their blogs to Fedora Accounts. The
> fields in Fedora Accounts should be available in FasJSON, and we are using
> this API to create the files for each planet so Pluto can build them.
>
> I wrote a Python script, just for now, that creates planet build files
> using the "website" field in FasJSON and brute-force directories to find
> RSS feeds (not the best solution, but I'll get there), this
> script classifies in which planet a particular blog will be added based on
> which group the user is in (i.e. if the user is in design fedora account
> group, then will be added to design planet). However, this could bring some
> issues to the users like showing an article not related to the
> corresponding planet. Additionally, a user also may have tags in their blog
> that correspond to a particular planet, such as security, design, fedora,
> etc. Because of those issues, I talked to Kevin about adding an RSS field
> in Fedora Accounts (noggin) that would allow the user to add links to the
> planets they want and also get rid of that brute-force solution. I created
> an issue about it here: https://github.com/fedora-infra/noggin/issues/1155
>
> Is it the best approach? Are those planets still being used? Also, is it
> okay to let users freely add some link that will appear in Fedora planet?
> Maybe creating a group for people that wish to add their blog on Fedora
> Planet would help to improve the security about the last one?

I'm interested to hear from others if those subplanets are much used
anymore. :)

IMHO, we should probibly just try and make things as simple as possible
to start with. I'd say we could even drop the subplanets unless people
are really using them/expecting them anymore.

But I guess lets see?

Is the current url available to look at? Just to see what it
looks like as a test?

> The container build also needs some improvement, as Pluto breaks due to the
> misconfiguration of some feeds, such as "error: This is not well-formed XML
> Missing end tag for 'meta' (got 'head')" and "error: undefined method
> `rss_version' for nil:NilClass". Maybe adding a condition in that Python

Yeah, the current planet script gets a ton of errors from places.
It's pretty anoying. We definitely need to handle errors by passing on
to the next feed when we get them or something.

> script checking those feeds would solve it. Additionally, due to queries to
> FasJSON, Kerberos login is required. Probably, there will be a service
> account to automate this process for prod, but for now during container
> build in CommuniShift, I don't know how to automate this part.

Yeah, in real clusters we can just have ansible get a service keytab for
that, but there's no easy way to do that in communishift.

> Thank you in advance for your time, and looking forward to your suggestions.

Thanks for bringing things up.

I'm hoping for more input too...

kevin