Re: planet

Hi Kevin,

I have been helping Pedro a little with this (and will try to continue to do so, if I can).

> I finally got around to trying this... and I couldn't quite get it
> working.
>
> It built ok, but then I ran it and got the default httpd web page on
> port 80. Is the content under something ?
>
> Likely it's me not being very container savvy... but perhaps you could
> go through the steps again on how to build/run it and where the content
> will be?

Hmm, I know I made some Dockerfile changes, but the following works for me, and brings me straight to a working instance of the planet site:

podman build -t fedora-infra/planet:dev . && \
  podman run --rm -it -p 8080:80 fedora-infra/planet:dev && \
  xdg-open http://localhost:8080

Are you sure that you're looking at port 8080 in your browser, or might you be looking at port 80, and somehow have httpd running separately from the container? Otherwise, it sounds like something has gone wrong during your "podman build" step. If you hit that problem again, could you upload the image that you built to quay.io or somewhere like that, and the build logs to somewhere that I could see them too?

> But yeah, given that you have it pulling things, we should definitely
> look at bringing it up in staging so everyone can help out and check it.

+1, it would be great to get it coughing and wheezing in staging to get eyes on it. There are a few things that I think still need to be done to make it great. For example, I don't think the build-planets.sh should be run as part of the image build. Assuming this will run in an OpenShift/k8s cluster, I think we'd be better off looking at something like a pod with 2 containers with a shared persistent volume: one container would run httpd, serving the planet from that disk (read-only), and the other would periodically run the script to scan the feeds and update the contents on disk.

Where would the best place to create such tasks/proposals be...issues in that GitHub project? It's been quite a while since I've been involved in anything around Fedora, so I'm not really sure how/where things are done nowadays!

Ger.