Re: planet

On Wed, Mar 02, 2022 at 10:18:58AM +0000, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> The planet is the only place where one can keep up with what community
> folks are doing---not just Fedora related, but generally in their lives.
> Folks share whatever they wish to share, and that's very important for
> us to know more about folks we do so much with.

It's so selective, though -- the set of people who blog about what they're
doing isn't representative of the community. I mean, even if we made people
more aware of it, it's not going to make more people into bloggers.

I'm interested in the idea of something more grand that can incorporate
multiple other kinds of sources. Maybe something that'd make me use mastodon
for real finally. :)

> I think just letting people share what they wish is fine. That way folks
> self curate what they think should go to the planet and when something
> goes against the CoC etc., it gets flagged. The current signal to noise
> ratio isn't too bad. I tend to skim titles quickly and only read posts
> that are relevant.

I'd like to see it a little more focused. Having it be _whatever_ opens us
up to potential trouble.

Plus there are some feeds which someone clearly set up many years ago and
just plain have nothing relevant anymore ever. That's not a problem in the
same sense, but does decrease the value.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>