Re: planet

On Tue, 1 Mar 2022 at 16:29, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hey folks. I thought I would open a discussion about fedoraplanet and
possibly some plans for it.

Right now:

fedoraplanet.org runs on people02.fedoraproject.org (aka fedorapeople).
To add a blog/rss feed you have to login there and edit your .planet
file, then scripting pulls all those .planet files and tries to fetch
all the feeds and then serves them up at http://fedoraplanet.org.
It uses a app called 'venus' to do this. venus is written in very old
python2 and very very dead upstream.

We run into the following problems with it:

* Sometimes it gets stuck and just stops processing until it's killed.
* It's serving on a http site, which causes people to ask us to make it
https, but that would just change the errors because many feeds it pulls
are still http since they were added back before letsencrypt existed.
* We have a handy 'website' field in our new account system, but aren't
using it at all.
* The .planet parsing is poor, any number of things can cause it to
break.

We have two open tickets on it:
- https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure/issue/10383 (upgrade to pluto,
  a ruby based, but maintained thing)
- https://pagure.io/fedora-infrastructure/issue/10490
  ( planet not served via ssl) Which I am just going to close now.

So, I can think of a number of options and would love everyone who has
thoughts on it to chime in:

1. Do nothing. Venus "works" and .planet files are cool and retro.

2. Switch to pluto and use account system 'website' fields of
contributors. We could likely shove it in openshift and serve it
directly from there to avoid fedorapeople entirely.
(This would likely break anyone who has multiple feeds in there)

I would like to go for 2 but with the caveat Ben put that it uses a different field. However I also realize it is a lot of work and there are not a lot of active blog writers anymore.

--
Stephen Smoogen, Red Hat Automotive
Let us be kind to one another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle. -- Ian MacClaren