Re: planet

On Tue, Mar 1, 2022 at 4:28 PM Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hey folks. I thought I would open a discussion about fedoraplanet and
> possibly some plans for it.

Thanks for starting this discussion, Kevin!

We've had some moderation issues with Planet over the years and a lot
of the content is not relevant to Fedora. If it were to go away, I
could live with it. Personally, I'd rather see much of the
Fedora-related content on Planet end up on the Community Blog instead.
That said, it does provide *some* value to the community (and the
non-Fedora content is interesting and isn't necessarily something I'd
see otherwise) so I'm not going to actively advocate for shutting it
down.

> 1. Do nothing. Venus "works" and .planet files are cool and retro.

-1. I don't want to endorse making someone go kick the process on a
regular basis. And running EOL software seems un-great.

> 2. Switch to pluto and use account system 'website' fields of
> contributors. We could likely shove it in openshift and serve it
> directly from there to avoid fedorapeople entirely.
> (This would likely break anyone who has multiple feeds in there)

+1 with caveats. It should be a separate field, IMO, because "website"
and "RSS feed of my blog" are not necessarily the same thing. Like
some others, my feed in Planet is for a specific tag to avoid spamming
Planet with all of the other baloney I write about. But I also have a
static website that I'd rather point people to when I say "this is my
website".

Do we have a rough count of how many people have multiple feeds in
their .planet file? I didn't even know that was supported! In general,
I'd rather break that for a few people than maintain the status quo.
If it's a non-trivial number of people, maybe we can come up with a
way to have the account system support multiple values in the RSS
field?

> 3. Switch to something better/bigger. I would think (although I don't
> know) that there might be something that would not only aggregate rss
> feeds for contributors, but perhaps mastodon/twitter/whatever also.

-1. People can add their social media account's RSS feed now if they
want, but I don't think we want to encourage that. I feel bad enough
for the people who follow me on Twitter, nevermind subjecting everyone
subscribing to Planet to it. :-)

> 4. Planets are old and tired, just drop the entire thing. People can
> maintain their own rss lists.

0. (see reasoning in my opening comments)

> 5. Planets are old and tired, just drop the entire thing.
> But also, get our social media people to maintain contributor /
> interesting lists. ie, the fedoraproject twitter account could maintain
> a list of 'fedora contributors' and 'fedora packagers' or whatever.
>
> 6. Switch to pluto as in 2, but also setup some curators. Have a
> 'firehose' of all feeds, but the main fedora planet would be just
> curated things that are known to be related to fedora and not off topic
> or unrelated.
>
> 6. Get someones (not it!) to take in all the
> twitter/facebook/mastodon/blog posts/rss feeds and post some kind of
> curated round up every week or something.

-1. Active curation takes a lot of effort, and we don't seem to have
that available (particularly not in a sustained way). Maybe someday in
the future, but we are not yet living in this particular future.

--
Ben Cotton
He / Him / His