Re: planet

On Tue, Mar 01, 2022 13:28:07 -0800, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Hey folks. I thought I would open a discussion about fedoraplanet and
> possibly some plans for it.

Hello,

> 1. Do nothing. Venus "works" and .planet files are cool and retro.

> 2. Switch to pluto and use account system 'website' fields of
> contributors. We could likely shove it in openshift and serve it
> directly from there to avoid fedorapeople entirely.
> (This would likely break anyone who has multiple feeds in there)

+1 but with caveats:

I think folks do use multiple feeds sometimes, for example to add the
blogs of our Outreachy candidates who may not always be CLA+1 right
away. Adding folks to a group is not hard though (the Join SIG happily
gives people membership to our FAS group if required, and there's also
wikiedit). So we can do this, and just make sure everyone knows.

> 4. Planets are old and tired, just drop the entire thing. People can
> maintain their own rss lists.

-1

The planet is the only place where one can keep up with what community
folks are doing---not just Fedora related, but generally in their lives.
Folks share whatever they wish to share, and that's very important for
us to know more about folks we do so much with.

(Generally, I think we need to give the planet more visibility---make
sure everyone is aware that they can add their feeds there, and maybe
also add links to the planet in other places like start.fp.o etc. to
make it less of a "hidden" community resource.)

> 5. Planets are old and tired, just drop the entire thing.
> But also, get our social media people to maintain contributor /
> interesting lists. ie, the fedoraproject twitter account could maintain
> a list of 'fedora contributors' and 'fedora packagers' or whatever.

-1

Looks like too much manual work? I also note that not all community
members use Twitter etc. so we end up in "what platform should the
community use/promote" territory..

> 6. Switch to pluto as in 2, but also setup some curators. Have a
> 'firehose' of all feeds, but the main fedora planet would be just
> curated things that are known to be related to fedora and not off topic
> or unrelated.

+0

I think just letting people share what they wish is fine. That way folks
self curate what they think should go to the planet and when something
goes against the CoC etc., it gets flagged. The current signal to noise
ratio isn't too bad. I tend to skim titles quickly and only read posts
that are relevant.

Are the curators going to be humans? That's more work that'll need to be
done. Automated curators would work (keywords based?) but they may take
some time setting up initially?

> 6. Get someones (not it!) to take in all the
> twitter/facebook/mastodon/blog posts/rss feeds and post some kind of
> curated round up every week or something.

-1

Dunno who'll do this, and how this will be done in the long run.

> 7. Your brilliant idea here!
>
> So, thoughts? this is not at all urgent, but we should end up doing
> something with it sometime. :)

Thanks for moving this along.

The Neuro SIG is using Pluto for our two planets already with a rather
basic set up[1,2] and it works quite well for our very simple use case.
@nerdsville helped with the migration for us, and from what I know,
they're interested in helping out with migrating the Fedora planet too.

[1] https://neuroblog.fedoraproject.org/planet-neuroscientists/
[2] https://neuroblog.fedoraproject.org/planet-neuroscience/

--
Thanks,