Re: Access for dusty to sysadmin-main

On 8/20/19 10:33 AM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> That 5 minute session isn't a 5 minute session to us. For us it is
> usually 40-60 minutes of context swapping from what we were doing to
> fixing your 5 minute thing to try to get back to the other thing to
> going back to you.. but after someone sees we answered you.. they go
> and ping us expecting us to give them the same level of service we
> gave you. Then we never get back to the thing and you end up with us
> getting more and more frustrated by your 5 minute sessions. You are
> worried about waiting a week? Try waiting 2 years to complete a
> project because your ability to focus on it is constantly broken up by
> 5 minute sessions.
>
> You having sysadmin-main is not going to fix this. It just means you
> are seen as responsible as everyone else who has sysadmin-main to fix
> every problem. You will now be getting the 5 minute pings that
> mizdebsk and the other non-Fedora Infrastructure people get all the
> time to fix all the 'little problems'. You will probably end up doing
> the same thing they do which is go off IRC completely for days at a
> time because it is the only way to get work done. You will also find
> that saying 'you can't help' doesn't get you anywhere.. we just get
> pinged asking why we have someone who can't do everything in
> sysadmin-main. [This has happened several times in the past with other
> people who have been in main so I am going from experience here.]
>
> Please realize that you are one of multiple important customers who
> all want as much time from a sysadmin-main person as you do. We could
> triple the number of people in sysadmin-main and still not have enough
> time to deal with the irqs.. we would just find that a lot of them
> have just been paused indefinitely to spring up when more people are
> available. Slowing things down by more careful planning, processes and
> controls is usually the only way to deal with it because it is a human
> complexity problem.
>
> I realize that sometimes this answer is not what works for a customer.

I sympathize (empathize?) with everything you're saying smooge. I really hope
this request isn't felt as being a pointed audit of anyone in sysadmin-main.
I'm incredibly humbled to work with each of you every day. This request to me
is more me saying "can I help by reducing the number of times we ping you?".
But you're saying that what I'm asking for is different or actually won't
help, which I accept.

Dusty