Re: Access for dusty to sysadmin-main

On Tue, 20 Aug 2019 at 09:20, Dusty Mabe <dusty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > In fact perhaps we could start doing this now somewhat: block off say...
> > wed into 2 hour blocks. Sign up people who have projects or pet
> > bugs/issues they want to get solved for those blocks and work on them?
>

> I think blocking off time and doing some scheduling is a great idea. My advice
> here is that we have a shared calendar with blocks that people can sign up for
> automatically (i.e. if the block is open anyone can reserve it as long as they
> have a FAS account).
>
> The only counter point that I have is that sometimes a "block of time" isn't
> always what's needed. Sometimes it will be something very small, but rather
> fundamental, that requires quite a bit of rework by the end user. For example,
> you and I have a 5 minutes session where some revelation comes to light and I
> need to go rewrite a portion of my application. I then spend two hours doing
> that and have to wait a week for the next block of time.

That 5 minute session isn't a 5 minute session to us. For us it is
usually 40-60 minutes of context swapping from what we were doing to
fixing your 5 minute thing to try to get back to the other thing to
going back to you.. but after someone sees we answered you.. they go
and ping us expecting us to give them the same level of service we
gave you. Then we never get back to the thing and you end up with us
getting more and more frustrated by your 5 minute sessions. You are
worried about waiting a week? Try waiting 2 years to complete a
project because your ability to focus on it is constantly broken up by
5 minute sessions.

You having sysadmin-main is not going to fix this. It just means you
are seen as responsible as everyone else who has sysadmin-main to fix
every problem. You will now be getting the 5 minute pings that
mizdebsk and the other non-Fedora Infrastructure people get all the
time to fix all the 'little problems'. You will probably end up doing
the same thing they do which is go off IRC completely for days at a
time because it is the only way to get work done. You will also find
that saying 'you can't help' doesn't get you anywhere.. we just get
pinged asking why we have someone who can't do everything in
sysadmin-main. [This has happened several times in the past with other
people who have been in main so I am going from experience here.]

Please realize that you are one of multiple important customers who
all want as much time from a sysadmin-main person as you do. We could
triple the number of people in sysadmin-main and still not have enough
time to deal with the irqs.. we would just find that a lot of them
have just been paused indefinitely to spring up when more people are
available. Slowing things down by more careful planning, processes and
controls is usually the only way to deal with it because it is a human
complexity problem.

I realize that sometimes this answer is not what works for a customer.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.