Re: Access for dusty to sysadmin-main

On 8/16/19 2:12 PM, Dusty Mabe wrote:

> On 8/16/19 5:04 PM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>> On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 at 16:40, Dusty Mabe <dusty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>>
>>> I suspect this request might fall short, but I figure I'll start a dialog.

>>> I'd like to help if possible, but I understand if my request isn't granted.
>>>

>> I have a counter idea which probably won't fly well either. My main
>> thing I would like is that people who are in main are doing the
>> following:
>> 1. Regularly taking IRC oncall for a week
>> 2. Regularly taking 'pager' duty for a week.At the moment this means
>> taking all the pages all the time but just listening to it when
>> oncall. I would love a way that pages was just 1-2 people for a week..
>> which would make that more possible.
>> 3. Let people know what their areas of expertise are and take those tickets.
>>
>> I am less inclined to have people on main who are just doing it for
>> one set of things because it doesn't help us lower our overall
>> workload.. it just allows that person fix their problem.
>>

> Honestly this may help address my problem as well, just approaching it from
> a different direction. Having more people around who are capable of "doing
> things" would certainly help. I guess my proposal includes me being around
> and capable of doing things, but "yes" with a focus on FCOS related tasks.

Well, this I think is related to our "agile transformation" (or if you
prefer "reorganizing how we work"). Right now, you find it hard to get
stuff done because everyone is busy on other things, so you have to nag
us to get stuff done which makes things worse for us, etc.

Ideally I think we can get to a place where we do a lot more scheduling
and a lot less having to yell for cycles. You note a few things were
just 5 min for someone to do... but the way we are working now someone
does that thing for you finally, but then goes back to the other stuff
they were working on, meaning in 30min you need another thing... repeat.

If you can come to us and say "hey, this is my project, I need it
deployed by X" we can look at it, gather info we need, put it in our
queue and then tell you "hey, we can work on that next tuesday". Then
next tuesday we can devote a block of time to getting everything done. I
think thats a win for everyone in the end and I would really like to get
there. Can we? I sure hope so.

In fact perhaps we could start doing this now somewhat: block off say...
wed into 2 hour blocks. Sign up people who have projects or pet
bugs/issues they want to get solved for those blocks and work on them?

Anyhow, I think the answer is in working better/smarter rather than
granting people more perms in general. Of course increasing the pool of
people who can do specific things might also help, but also those people
will need to learn when to do things and when to ask about doing things.

kevin