Re: IRC oncall

On 05/15/2018 10:13 AM, Peter Szabo wrote:
> On the lates meeting I had the feeling that the team is short on oncall
> personel because there are only a handful of people who know the
> infrastructure well. Since I'm only a fresh apprentice I doubt I could
> help in with this immediately however oncall duty is something that
> I've done at my job for 18 years and I'd be happy (and I think I could)
> help you out soon if there would be out there someone who could do some
> kind of intensive mentoring. What I mean is actively involving me (or
> anyone who is interested) to troubleshooting and daily maintenance
> work. Describing what are you doing and why. This might slow down these
>  troubleshootings for a while but could bring it's fruit on the long
> term by having more well trained people available when needed.
> I see that the infrastructure we work with is complex and needs time to
> learn well but we could speed up the learning process with this kind of
> mentoring and ease up the preassure on some of the team members who
> already overwhelmed with other duties.
> If you think it would worth a shot just ping me, my IRC is 'sapo'

Well, we have talked about mentoring in the past, but we run into issues
with it. It's hard for someone just learning to spend tons of time being
mentored and we can't (and don't want to!) force them to either. So we
don't know who is going to be around for a while or who has time.

The other thing is that I at least (don't want to speak for everyone) am
super happy to explain whats going on or what I am doing (as time
permits), but it doesn't seem like people take us up on that very often.
Do you feel if we officially told someone "I am mentoring you" it would
work better than "Please ask me anytime whats going on or what I am doing"?

Anyhow, I'm happy to help you learn about our infra... feel free to ask
anything in #fedora-admin. :)

On 05/15/2018 10:41 AM, Karsten Wade wrote:
> On 05/15/2018 10:13 AM, Peter Szabo wrote:
>>
>>   do some
>> kind of intensive mentoring>
> I wonder what it would be like if there were an apprentice slot for each
> oncall shift?
>
> For example, an apprentice is scheduled to be paged with the oncall
> sysadmin, then at the least can shadow the syasadmin, help with
> communication on IRC, do initial troubleshooting & monitoring with the
> apprentice auth/access level, etc.
>
> Honestly sounds like fun to me, but I'm stupid like that.

Well, depends on the stuff I guess. It means that the oncall person not
only has to watch for and respond to pings on irc and triage tickets,
but then explain/teach a apprentice. If there is time and willing
apprentice thats great! If things are really busy, it could be too much
work to do at once.

I'm open to ideas here... we should all try and figure better ways to
get stuff done and learn and have a good time doing it. :)

kevin