Re: IRC oncall

On 15 May 2018 at 13:41, Karsten Wade <kwade@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 05/15/2018 10:13 AM, Peter Szabo wrote:
>>

>>   do some
>> kind of intensive mentoring
>

> I wonder what it would be like if there were an apprentice slot for each
> oncall shift?
>
> For example, an apprentice is scheduled to be paged with the oncall
> sysadmin, then at the least can shadow the syasadmin, help with
> communication on IRC, do initial troubleshooting & monitoring with the
> apprentice auth/access level, etc.

Shadowing is  difficult in an online setting versus a personal
setting. We have a hard time shadowing each other because a lot of the
time trying to fix things is staring intently at various config files,
trying to remember which language does what, and a lot of radio
silence.  Apprentices who have tried to shadow us end up getting
frustrated and asking a lot of questions which breaks our
concentration when we are already dealing with a OMG WTF moment. Which
ends up as a poor experience all around.

In order to make it work, it would take a lot of retooling everything
we do while we are supposed to keep the current ship running. That
would require it to be a large enough priority that we can drop a lot
of other balls to make it work.