Re: State of python3 in our infrastructure

On Fri, 4 Dec 2015 11:27:22 -0800
Brendan Conoboy <blc@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 12/04/2015 10:26 AM, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 04, 2015 at 10:04:54AM -0800, Brendan Conoboy wrote:
> >> RHEL currently provides python3 via SCL.  Is this insufficient for
> >> infrastructure's needs?
> >
> > Python3 itself isn't the problem, it's the whole stack of
> > dependencies that we need in addition to python.
> > Packaging things for EPEL means it's available to everyone and
> > anyone can contribute/build upon it, we know how the system and the
> > packaging work, it's easy for us to add new components and fix
> > others. Packaging things for SCL means, it's nowhere but our infra
> > repo since we can't push things to RH's SCLs and SCLs are neither
> > in Fedora nor in EPEL, it's more work as we'll need to figure out
> > how SCLs work and how packaging for SCLs work and it makes it a
> > much more closed system from a contribution point of view.
>
> For context, my primary interest is there being a smooth course for
> developers and users to move from Python 2 to 3, preferably *before*
> a new RHEL major release comes out.  If EPEL is meeting your needs
> that's great, but if you need something from RHEL that'd be good to
> know.  Thanks,

To expand on what Pierre said:

* SCL's aren't allowed in use in Fedora/EPEL, so we would have to not
  use koji or our usual patterns to maintaining things. Nor would it be
  as easy for us to collaborate with others who have similar goals.

* Mixing SCLs and RPMS is a mess and complex.

As to getting folks to move to python3 before the next RHEL major
release, I am not sure. On one hand it would be great if there was a
python3 rpm provided and maintained by RHEL folks. On the other hand if
we maintain it in EPEL we might have more flexability to change it (ie,
less guarentees than RHEL might provide). So, I guess the best world
would be some RH/RHEL python folks helping maintain the EPEL python3x
version and building up the stack somewhat would be best for us.

kevin