State of python3 in our infrastructure

Good morning everyone,

I would like to start gathering our thoughts about python3 in our apps.

To my knowledge, we currently have two applications that are python3 (only):
- Mailman3 core (as in hyperkitty is still py2)
- mdapi

Both are *not* running via apache/mod_wsgi. MM3 runs on RHEL7 while mdapi runs
on a Fedora node for the moment.

So, what do we think about python3 app in our infrastructure? Are we ok with
it? Do we want to avoid them for the moment? Do we want to split 'backend' vs
'frontend' (ie web-apps)?

What brings me to raise these questions is that I have spent my morning getting
pagure to run on pygit2 0.23.0 (the version present on F23) so that I can
upgrade my laptop still running F21 atm.
The result of this work is not pretty: https://pagure.io/pagure/pull-request/516
(and might still require some work, just the tests are passing at the moment, I
would not be surprised if I missed some things in the templates).
I am more and more thinking about replacing pygit2 and a friend of mine is
developing a potentially really interesting alternative: maggit:
https://gitlab.com/maggit/maggit
However, maggit is python3 only.
But the pain of dealing with pygit2 is such that I have been considering looking
more into maggit and maybe porting pagure to it (which means porting pagure to
python3, already checked, all of its dependencies are py3 ready).

Before I consider such effort (which would be a 2.0 release), I want to clarify
the status of python3 web-apps.

So what do you folks think? :)

Thanks,
Pierre