Re: State of python3 in our infrastructure

On Wed 02 Dec 2015 12:14:42 PM CET Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
> Good morning everyone,
>
> I would like to start gathering our thoughts about python3 in our apps.
>
> To my knowledge, we currently have two applications that are python3 (only):
> - Mailman3 core (as in hyperkitty is still py2)
> - mdapi
>
> Both are *not* running via apache/mod_wsgi. MM3 runs on RHEL7 while mdapi runs
> on a Fedora node for the moment.
>
> So, what do we think about python3 app in our infrastructure? Are we ok with
> it? Do we want to avoid them for the moment? Do we want to split 'backend' vs
> 'frontend' (ie web-apps)?
>
> What brings me to raise these questions is that I have spent my morning getting
> pagure to run on pygit2 0.23.0 (the version present on F23) so that I can
> upgrade my laptop still running F21 atm.
> The result of this work is not pretty: https://pagure.io/pagure/pull-request/516
> (and might still require some work, just the tests are passing at the moment, I
> would not be surprised if I missed some things in the templates).
> I am more and more thinking about replacing pygit2 and a friend of mine is
> developing a potentially really interesting alternative: maggit:
> https://gitlab.com/maggit/maggit
> However, maggit is python3 only.
> But the pain of dealing with pygit2 is such that I have been considering looking
> more into maggit and maybe porting pagure to it (which means porting pagure to
> python3, already checked, all of its dependencies are py3 ready).
>
> Before I consider such effort (which would be a 2.0 release), I want to clarify
> the status of python3 web-apps.
>
> So what do you folks think? :)

Not part of Fedora infra of course, but my thoughts are that

 * Fedora infra was relatively recently migrated to RHEL 7
 * RHEL 7 has python 2.7
 * Basically all current infra is 2.x
 * It seems there will be progressive move of Python ecosystem towards
   py3 over the course of RHEL 7 lifetime

I would venture a guess that we (that is you our lovely Fedora infra
folks) will need to come up with py3 strategy/plan sooner or later
(whether it's EPEL or RHSCL or...)

--
Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky@xxxxxxxxxx>
Business System Analyst, PnT DevOps PMO Team - Brno

PGP: 7B087241