Re: Setting up GitLab for fedorahosted.org

On Tue, 12 Mar 2013 01:33:07 -0600
Dan Allen <dan.j.allen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 10:24 AM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 04:44:39 +0200
> > Axilleas Pipinellis <axilleas@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > Greetings from a newly registered member!
> > >
> > > I've seen the 'GSoC @ Infra' thread but I didn't want to hijack it
> > > nor do I know how to reply to a thread through mailman...
> > >
> > > I will be applying for GSoC this summer and GitLab is my first
> > > priority as I have been using it since version 2 and I want to
> > > contribute in any way I can. I have been talking with Vit Ondruch
> > > about the packaging procedure and I just sent a mail [0] to the
> > > ruby-sig list too, regarding this.
> >
> > Excellent. ;)
> >

> Very excellent!
>

> > > I have also read last year's discussion [1] and it was made clear
> > > by Dan Allen [2] that besides the whole implementation thing, it
> > > is as important to find some people that will maintain the project
> > > longterm. And I am willing to do this. I don't know if it is
> > > possible for more than one person to work on a project during
> > > GSoC, but another fellow is interested in this as well [3]. So,
> > > now we are two :p
> >

> Great news! Thank you for stepping forward.
>
> One of the key reasons I've been pushing for GitLab is because I see
> the potential it has for drastically improving the discoverability of
> the Fedora code base and encourage participation. I've been involved
> with a lot of projects on GitHub and I'm amazed by how simple it is
> to submit changes (to both code and documentation). In fact, it's
> often easier to send a patch with a description of the change than to
> create an issue...flipping the normal bug submitting process on its
> head.
>
> GitHub also works because it enables collaboration over coordination.
> You don't have to ask for permission on GitHub. You just do it. Then
> you can easily track when they get pulled in or changes are
> requested. (the same is true of GitLab).
>
> With GitLab, we can bring that experience to the Fedora community.
> It's a large enough community (esp in terms of repositories), that
> I'm positive we'd see that collaboration kindle within the Fedora
> instance.
>
> ...so this is a big deal.

So - I was following this
https://github.com/alexanderte/ansible-playbook-gitlab

and I know ricky elrod is looking into adapting it for us.

if that works and we can deploy new gitlab instances...

my next question is gitlab and openid auth.

-sv