Re: Setting up GitLab for fedorahosted.org

On 03/12/2013 09:33 AM, Dan Allen wrote:

Great news! Thank you for stepping forward.

One of the key reasons I've been pushing for GitLab is because I see the
potential it has for drastically improving the discoverability of the
Fedora code base and encourage participation. I've been involved with a
lot of projects on GitHub and I'm amazed by how simple it is to submit
changes (to both code and documentation). In fact, it's often easier to
send a patch with a description of the change than to create an
issue...flipping the normal bug submitting process on its head.

GitHub also works because it enables collaboration over coordination.
You don't have to ask for permission on GitHub. You just do it. Then you
can easily track when they get pulled in or changes are requested. (the
same is true of GitLab).

With GitLab, we can bring that experience to the Fedora community. It's
a large enough community (esp in terms of repositories), that I'm
positive we'd see that collaboration kindle within the Fedora instance.

...so this is a big deal.

-Dan

Hi Dan, thanks for replying!

As Kevin said, let's see how the packaging will go and then we can start working at deploying it. I'll see to make a draft of the process I have in mind in the following week.

The only drawback I see in case GitLab becomes fedorahosted's frontend, is that for someone to see the code in a project, they have to be part of the team. Repositories are kind of private.