Re: Fedora 32 translation memories

Hi,

Thank you and congratulations Jean-Baptiste for collating the data, that's huge!
The next big thing would be to make them usable to consume.

Talking about Transtats:
It tries to bring a lot of things together that's its drawback and strength at the same time.
  --- which makes it complex!

On Wed, Oct 14, 2020 at 12:57 PM Jean-Baptiste Holcroft <jean-baptiste@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Le 2020-10-14 08:51, Sundeep Anand a écrit :
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 4:20 PM Jens-Ulrik Petersen
> <petersen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 8:22 PM Jean-Baptiste Holcroft
>>> I would like to make it a Fedora initiative and publish these
>>> files in
>>> an official Fedora website.
>>> Would someone be willing to help? Constraints is to use Hugo to
>>> allow
>>> this website to be localized.
>>
>> I can't help wondering if there is any way to integrate this with
>> Transtats in the future.
>
> this may align with https://github.com/transtats/transtats/issues/178

As said on IRC:

* transtats is focused on package out of sync, which isn't something I
really worry about

As Transtats is evolving, package out of sync is one of the focused areas.

* the technology used by transtats is too complex for me to easily step
in

It's a plain django application.
https://github.com/transtats/transtats/blob/devel/CONTRIBUTING.md could be a good starting point.

* I'm also unsure about the usecases transtats covers and it probably
requires more promotion and measurement of the impact it have

An effort to refine those use cases and tweak them is underway!

* I'll be happy to have transtats front-end and have a dev to develop
contribution features. For example, I have files with missing encoding,
uniq keys in duplicates, obvious errors to fix etc.

Probably Transtats can see the https://jibecfed.fedorapeople.org/partage/compendium-full/ as one big source of translations?
In the past, I had been doing something with map-filter-reduce (in hadoop) in the same scenario for the same desired results.

* merging these two initiatives probably means to rewrite transtats,
which is a hard decision to take

I guess rewrite is not required. We may just need a job consuming your datasets.

But I'm talking as an individual here, if transtats doesn't answers my
usecase, it can still be useful for other users/personas.

Somehow, Transtats deals with multi-product / multi-tenancy environments and
may be developed for multiple teams / stakeholders,
hence defining development priority in one direction sometimes looks challenging.

How can we seriously discuss this and arrive with realistic options?
Next Flock? A dedicated event?

Jean-Baptiste