Re: Proposal: Fedora G11N Steering Committee

Hi,

>  For this purpose and in line with [1], we were thinking of Fedora
> Globalization steering committee. I have created initial proposal for
> it. [2]

Would it instead be an idea to instead of forming a new committee next to the current Internationalization (i18n)
Fedora subproject, extend that subproject to g11n?
Otherwise, I would personally be a bit confused if I were to contribute to internationalization: would that be the
i18n subproject, or the g11n subproject (which per definition as far as I understood includes i18n)?

I do agree that a steering committee directing this subproject would be a good idea, but I think that the proposal
is a bit underspecified at this moment: "To drive Fedora globalization by providing governance and community
activity support for Internationalization, Localization and Zanata group." is a very broad, marketing-sounding goal
in my opinion, and not very clear. What kinds of things do we want the FGSCo to be governing?
Would that be things like working with QE to add test cases/release criteria, get more contributors, organize
events, ...?
Probably best to expand a bit more, especially if you're also planning to raise funds.

Also, I am doubtful whether some of these goals are in order for the g11n team, especially: "Raising funds & Budget planning"
and "Event planning in region/country". I think we should probably ask help from Ambassadors for these parts, since they
are supposed to have experience with these kinds of things. And while I realize that a lot of g11n people might be ambassadors,
I am not sure whether we need another committee responsible for all this.  (note: this is based on some expectations from me regarding
goals for this committee, see previous point).

>  Its open for feedback, please feel free to share other active members,
> discuss in your respective language groups. This is just initial
> proposal and i am sure, we can improve and make it more effective with
> active participation.

Thank you for getting this process in motion, would be great to see g11n gain more ground in Fedora!

With kind regards,
Patrick Uiterwijk