Re: Q: Trying to package msttcore fonts.

On 2/11/14, Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Le Mar 11 février 2014 21:11, Alec Leamas a écrit :
>
>> You have good reasons not to give users these fonts. So, this then
>> boils down to "Give users what they should have" vs "Give users what
>> they want". For me, this is not a clear-cut decision.
>
> What the users want is windows users stopping referencing closed fonts in
> their documents or, as a workaround, access to windows fonts. You can't
> give them either one (you're not giving them windows fonts you're giving
> the old windows fonts with old bugs they won't have under windows).*
>
> And actually making them think you can give them windows fonts only helps
> perpetuate the problem that required them in the first place.

In any case, FWIW  the descriptions should be changed to tell users
that these fonts are outdated and not on pair with current Windows
fonts. OTOH, they buy some compatibility with Windows (same bugs...)
which might be worth it in certain usecases, e. g., when printing
files using these fonts when created.

I should perhaps also lower the config priority from 55 to 60+ (?)

That said, in the best of worlds these fonts should not be used by
other OS:s. But in a situation where Linux has ~1% of the desktop
users (Macos licenses the MS fonts) we don't really create much
pressure to by not being able use them.

Part of the game: many other distros (notably Debian/Ubuntu) packages
msttcorefonts one way or another.

Another argument is that by forcing those who (think they) need these
fonts to use whatever is out there they will probably install a
package which is less up to standard then this one will be (after
review...). After reading the description, they might even decide not
to install it.

I'm not saying you are wrong, just testing the arguments. For now,
let's see if there is anyone interested enough to review these. If
no-one wants to review, then the requests are dead.  If there are
reviews, let's test the arguments on a per-case basis there.

--alec