Re: Help required for the application installer

Le Ven 25 octobre 2013 14:57, Richard Hughes a écrit :
> On 25 October 2013 12:55, Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>> Yes, I'll probably fall back to this. The big problem is the way some
>>> fonts are split, and I want the description to be of the parent font,
>>> and not the monospace version for example.
>> Monospace *is* a different font family.
>
> Yes, sorry. A poor choice of example on my part. sans/serif would be a
> better example.

sans / sans serif are also two different font families. You have one
design with serifs and another without. That some designs have been made
by the same persons to work together does not change the fact you're
dealing with two objects (you'll note Microsoft never pretended its serif
and sans serif fonts where somehow the same family, they have very
different names).

A font family is a single design, where the only variables are weight,
width and slant. That permits CSS operators like bolder, lighter, wider,
narrower, oblique, italic. Anything else, that is not concrete enough to
define a software operator for, is too nebulous to base reliable
separations on. And you need reliable separations if you don't want your
app store to degenerate into the usual swamp font repositories are.

Sorry, it's easy to get confused :p

--
Nicolas Mailhot