Re: default font list for f17

On 03/06/2012 02:46 PM, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
Le Mar 6 mars 2012 20:22, Qianqian Fang a écrit :

I did not follow the default font settings in F17.
There was a long standing issue of reading Chinese
under non-CJK locales (en,fr etc) because Japanese
fonts were set to a higher priority in the fontconfig
65-nonlatin.
How is fontconfig supposed to arbiter between CJK users when you're not
telling it the locale you want?

while this is true, the issue does exist, admit or not.

To be more explicit, I think there is a blind point in the
current fallback mechanism for handling "unspecified"
language font fallback. Ignoring it will continue impacting
users experience in a negative way, in my opinion.

What you describe is not an issue, it's an
impossible wish.

No matter you set the default font or not, there will
be one chosen for these locales (currently it is
Japanese). All I want to say is that, when there is no
specific preference, Chinese is a better choice as it
provides consistent glyphs over a larger unicode
coverage.

You need to fix the software used by Chinese writers so it
actually tells the font stack the user wants to render Chinese.

(IMHO anyway)