Re: Packaging questions

 Am Donnerstag, den 29.01.2009, 20:07 +0100 schrieb Nicolas Mailhot:
> Le jeudi 29 janvier 2009 à 15:30 -0300, Paul Lange a écrit :
> > Hey,
> >
> > I'm currently reading all that packaging stuff and start working on my
> > first font. I've chosen Tagesschrift from the wishlist, you can find the
> > webiste here: http://www.yanone.de/typedesign/tagesschrift/
> >
> > If I don't explain my problems well you can find my current status here:
> > http://palango.fedorapeople.org/
> >
> > Well, first some questions to fontconfig. Tagesschrift is a serif font,
> > but I'm not sure if I should declare its family as serif or fantasy
> > because it's a kind of distorted.
>
> When you have a doubt if a font is rather fantasy or something else,
> that usually means the font is fantasy. Also you can check in fontforge
> what the font author declared (ctrl+e)
>
> Here you'll see the OS/2 PFM family is set to "Decorative" which is
> another name for "Fantasy".

OK, changed this. FontForge also says the version is 1.0 should I use
this or the release date like now?

> >  The other thing is the numeral prefix.
> > I set it to 60 because it's latin but I'm not sure if it's not more a
> > low priority font (means 61-64).
>
> I'd have put it to 63-64 because it has no bold/italic variants so it's
> better to let more complete fonts resolve first.

Well, makes sense to me. Changed.

> >  Like to hear your opinion on that two
> > things.
> >
> > I'm coming to the .spec file now. Everything is clear until the %setup
> > -q command. Do I need to make any changes to this because the archive is
> > a zip rather than a tar.gz archive?
>
> %setup will process most of the well-known archive formats
> automatically. It's not limited to zip.
>
> What it can't do is guess if upstream used the sane convention of using
> a top directory named the same way as the archive or something else. If
> you're in the "something else" case you need to pass some flags to %
> setup manually
>
> http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/s1-rpm-inside-macros.html
>
> %setup is about the only part of the template that must be changed in a
> case-by-case basis depending on how upstream packed its sources.
>
> > Next section is the %install command. This is really difficult for me.
> > How can I find out where all this variables (_fontdir,
> > _fontconfig_templatedir, ...) are pointing to?
>
> You're not supposed to. The variables are right as they are. As
> documented in
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Simple_fonts_spec_template
>
> you have at most the *.ttf to change in the %install section, if your
> fonts are located in a subdirectory and not directly in the root
> directory of the archive.

Well, that's clear now.
I built my package now and rpmls says the following (which looks good to me):

        $ rpmls yanone-tagesschrift-fonts-20050524-1.fc10.noarch.rpm
        lrw-r--r--  /etc/fonts/conf.d/64-yanone-tagesschrift.conf
        -rw-r--r--  /usr/share/fontconfig/conf.avail/64-yanone-tagesschrift.conf
        drwxr-xr-x  /usr/share/fonts/yanone-tagesschrift
        -rw-r--r--  /usr/share/fonts/yanone-tagesschrift/YanoneTagesschrift.ttf

but rpmlint has 2 warning for me:

        yanone-tagesschrift-fonts.noarch: W: no-documentation
        yanone-tagesschrift-fonts.noarch: W: symlink-should-be-relative /etc/fonts/conf.d/64-yanone-tagesschrift.conf /usr/share/fontconfig/conf.avail/64-yanone-tagesschrift.conf

How to handle them?

Thank you in advance!

Paul