Re: Q: How to locally maven-install a fedora maven-based package?

> > Only artifacts not available on your system will be downloaded
> > from Maven Central. It's important to note that "xmvn" ignores artifact
> > versions. It will first try to find exact version, but if it's not
> > available, it will look for any other version of given artifact.
>
> Which IMHO makes perfect sense when working downstream (i. e.,
> packaging) but isn't really sane while doing upstream developing which
> requires exact version matching.
>
> > As you can see, development against system jars can be a bit
> > problematic. That's because "system" jars are not really meant to be
> > used for development (IMO). We usually package jars into RPMs, because
> > some Java application needs them at runtime/compile time.
>
> Still, I have some jars which are available in fedora packages but not
> in maven central. Which means that the reasonable way is to install
> (fedora-wise) the package and then maven-install the packaged jar into
> the maven repository to make them available as dependencies. Or?

>From what I remember, the resolution order of dependencies by maven is
reactor, workspace (entry point for XMvn), local repository, remote
repository. However XMvn is configured by default to resolve the local
repo, and then the system one (/usr/share/xmvn/configuration.xml). I
wonder if it would be possible for Alec to change this so that XMvn
resolves remote maven repos prior to resolving the system repo although
I would guess there isn't support for this kind of configuration yet
('resolve-local', 'resolve-system' key words exist but probably nothing
for 'resolve-remote').

I guess for now the only other solution would be to manually install
the artifacts into your local maven repository.

Cheers,
--
Roland Grunberg