Re: Q: How to locally maven-install a fedora maven-based package?

Hi Alec,

On 04/08/2015 09:22 AM, Alec Leamas wrote:
I'm probably dumb (again...) but: my current understanding is that when installing a typical fedora java package it installs /usr/share/maven-metadata/app.xml and other things including a jar file typically like /usr/share/java/app/app.jar.

Now, if I need to make some local development I need to install this app.jar file into my local maven repository using something like

mvn install:install-file -DgroupId=... -DartifactId=... -Dfile=...

All this metadata (groupId, artifactId, etc.) is available in the /usr/share/maven-metadata/app.xml file. So, my question: is there any tool which parses app.xml and installs the jar file to the local maven repository?

Or have I just got it wrong, and there is another much more elegant way to make system jar files available to the local maven?

You can call "xmvn" instead of "mvn" and it will first try to use system jars. Only artifacts not available on your system will be downloaded from Maven Central. It's important to note that "xmvn" ignores artifact versions. It will first try to find exact version, but if it's not available, it will look for any other version of given artifact.

As you can see, development against system jars can be a bit problematic. That's because "system" jars are not really meant to be used for development (IMO). We usually package jars into RPMs, because some Java application needs them at runtime/compile time.

Michal

cheers!

--alec