Re: Eclipse Luna on Fedora 21 and JDK 8 requirement

?

If removed - why couldn't that be done for Java7 ?

If just letting get stale - why couldn't that be done for Java7 ?

Security is the biggest reason for not doing this. Java has CPUs each quarter at the least, so within 3 months we would end up with a version
with major security issues.

which is why I suggested having these made available separately somehow.

Separately how? As a secondary non-default JDK you mean, or a separate
3rd party repo like copr?

Yes. whatever works ;)

My point was that it just seemed sad that Java 7 support is being dropped because
there is publicly announced EOL for it and thus gets removed upfront vs
when a component just stops getting maintained then it stays in Fedora (unmaintained).

Thats at least what I got from the thread here.

I would just like to be able to say using Fedora is a good option for Java developers, and if the fedora community do not have resources to maintain OpenJDK 7 fixes should not "scorn" users trying to use Oracle JDK 7 binaries since that is basically the only
practical option left for them.

That is just my opinion :)

And I assume the answers is you just don't have time/power to maintain
it
and thats is fully grokkable - but then
it seems to me it would be good for users if we at least explain how
they
can use another Java 7 in fedora eclipse context (which was the initial
question here)

We shouldn't recommend users to use an unsupported, insecure version. I understand that that is not the case right now, but it will be within
a few months of F21 being released.

The appropriate solution IMO is that users file bugs for 8 and we fix
them so that everyone can benefit.

Can't really fix issues with other projects code that are dependent on Java
7 because of changes
in Java 7 by fixing Java 8 :)

I understand. As I said above, if someone is willing to accept the
responsibility for doing timely security backports and maintenance, they
are welcome to do so :)

Yeah I know ;)

/max
http://about.me/maxandersen