Re: Eclipse Luna on Fedora 21 and JDK 8 requirement

Hi Max,

* Max Rydahl Andersen <manderse@xxxxxxxxxx> [2014-10-31 04:18]:

> >>ok, why no Java 6 ?
> >
> >Besides many technical reason the biggest one is non-technical in my eyes
> >- no one volunteered to do it. You know it's always a matter of "who will
> >do the work?". I'm pretty sure that if someone jumps in and say "Hey, I'll
> >maintain Java 6, fix problems/adopt Java 6 to changes in the OS if
> >neeeded, help strengthen the switching between JREs, go through the Java
> >projects(shipped in Fedora) and help them properly set their targets in
> >build scripts so builds properly work on Java 6 and etc" there will be no
> >objection to having Java 6. :)
>
> Fair enough.

> >>So for users most stable thing is to use Oracle JDK builds instead which
> >>are and will stay available ?
> >
> >Users can still try to use it but it's something that they have to do on
> >their own - download, extract, set PATH, etc. Just like on every platform
> >with Oracle JVM.
>
> Yeah, this is similar experience for developers on all other platforms so
> its expected/assumed.
>
> >>No separate repo with "binaries that is currently supported but will not
> >>stay supported for all of fedora 21 lifetime" ?
> >
> >1. Fedora can not legally redistribute Oracle JDK.
>
> I know - hence why I would think having a openjdk 7 build would make sense.

Oracle JDK7 and OpenJDK 7 will both EOL in April 2015:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html

So they will expire within the lifetime of Fedora 20 and 21, and it
again comes down to volunteer for maintainership at that point.

> >2. Fedora can not distribute something that Fedora developers can not
> >support if there is a problem in it (as it is with Oracle JDK).
>
> so *any* package that is known to be marked as EOL sometime in the future
> before the upcoming Fedora EOL's gets removed from that future Fedora
> release ? Even that Java 7 is still the most used and targeted Java version
> ?

That is not the case. OpenJDK7 will EOL before 20 and 21, and despite
that, we will support it in 20. OpenJDK7 has been removed only from
Fedora 21.

> How does fedora handle it when a package stops being maintained midstream
> with not proper warning ? Do they get removed or just lets getting be stale
> ?
>
> If removed - why couldn't that be done for Java7 ?
>
> If just letting get stale - why couldn't that be done for Java7 ?

Security is the biggest reason for not doing this. Java has CPUs each
quarter at the least, so within 3 months we would end up with a version
with major security issues.

> And I assume the answers is you just don't have time/power to maintain it
> and thats is fully grokkable - but then
> it seems to me it would be good for users if we at least explain how they
> can use another Java 7 in fedora eclipse context (which was the initial
> question here)

We shouldn't recommend users to use an unsupported, insecure version. I
understand that that is not the case right now, but it will be within
a few months of F21 being released.

The appropriate solution IMO is that users file bugs for 8 and we fix
them so that everyone can benefit.

(Will let Alex answer about Eclipse part below).

Cheers,
Deepak